Do I Pay Tax on Gift Money from Parents Overseas?

If you are a U.S. citizen or resident alien, the answer to this question is likely yes. The IRS treats gifts from foreign persons as taxable income, so if your parents give you a large sum of money as a gift, you will need to report it on your taxes. However, there are a few exceptions to this rule. You may not have to pay taxes if the gift is less than $100,000. Additionally, if the gift is used for educational or medical expenses, you may be able to deduct some or all of the taxes you would otherwise owe.

The answer is usually no regarding gift money from parents overseas—you don’t have to pay taxes on these gifts. The IRS allows for a certain amount of “gift exclusion” each year, meaning you can receive up to a certain amount of money as a gift without paying any taxes. For 2019, the annual exclusion is $15,000 per person (so if you have two parents who give you $15,000 each, that’s a total of $30,000 that you can receive tax-free). 

Now, there are some exceptions to this rule. If your parents live in a foreign country and don’t file U.S. tax returns, they may be subject to the “foreign earned income exclusion.” This exclusion allows them to exclude up to $105,900 of their income from U.S. taxes (for 2019). So if they give you more than $15,000 as a gift, they may have to pay taxes on the excess. 

Another exception has to do with estate taxes. If your parent dies and leaves you money as part of their estate, that money may be subject to estate taxes. However, there is a federal estate tax exemption of $11.4 million for 2019 (meaning that only estates worth more than this amount are subject to estate taxes). Unless your parent has an extremely large estate, any gift money you receive from them will likely be subject to estate taxes. So, in general, you shouldn’t have to worry about paying taxes on gift money from your parents overseas. 

How Much Money Can I Receive As a Gift from Abroad?

If you are receiving a gift from abroad, the amount of money you can receive depends on a few factors. First, if the gift comes from an individual, they are limited to gifting $15,000 per year without a gift tax. If the gift comes from a foreign corporation or government, there is no limit to how much money can be gifted. However, if the total value of all gifts an individual receives in a year exceeds $30,000, the excess over $30,000 will be subject to the gift tax.

Do I Have to Pay Tax on Money Transferred from Overseas to Us?

If you are a U.S. citizen or resident alien, the answer to this question is generally yes. You must pay taxes on money transferred overseas to the United States, regardless of the amount. However, there are some exceptions to this rule, so it is important to consult with a tax professional if you have any questions. It is also worth noting that even if you do not owe taxes on the money transferred into the United States, you may still be required to report it on your federal tax return. Failure to do so could result in penalties and interest charges. Again, it is best to speak with a tax professional if you are unsure whether you need to report the funds transfer on your return.

Tax on Gift Money from Abroad

When you receive a gift from someone living in a foreign country, you may be liable for taxes. The amount of tax you owe will depend on the value of the gift and the relationship between you and the person who gave it to you. If the value of the gift is more than $100,000, you will owe federal taxes on it. Your marginal tax bracket will determine the tax rate. For example, if you are in the 25% marginal tax bracket, your federal tax rate on a foreign-gifted asset would be 25%. In addition to federal taxes, you may also owe state taxes on the gifted asset. 

If the person who gave you the gift is not a close relative (such as a parent or grandparent), they are subject to the “gift tax.” This special tax applies to gifts above a certain value (currently $15,000 per year). The person giving the gift is responsible for paying this tax; however, if they don’t, you are responsible for paying it. 

So if someone gives you a large sum of money from abroad and doesn’t pay the gift tax, YOU could be liable for those taxes plus interest and penalties. It’s important to note that there are some exceptions to these rules. For example, if the gifted money is used towards buying a home or tuition at an educational institution, it may not be subject to taxation. Be sure to consult with a qualified accountant or tax attorney before deciding how to handle foreign-gifted assets.


If you’re a U.S. citizen or resident alien, you must report all income from foreign sources on your tax return. This includes money that’s gifted to you by your parents overseas. The good news is there’s usually no tax on this type of income as long as it’s less than the annual gift tax exclusion amount, which is currently $15,000 per person ($30,000 for married couples). 

However, if your parents give you more than the exclusion amount in a year, they must file a gift tax return. And if they don’t pay the taxes due on that return, you may be responsible for them when you file your taxes. So it’s important to be aware of the rules around gifts of money from foreign sources before accepting large sums from your parents overseas.

Sharing is caring!

Leave a Comment