Can You Gift a Gun in Michigan?

If you’re a Michigan gun owner, you may wonder if it’s legal to gift a gun to someone else. The answer is yes, but there are some restrictions to keep in mind. First, the recipient must be at least 18 years old and cannot be prohibited from owning a firearm under state or federal law. Second, you must complete a transfer form and have the recipient sign it before transferring the gun. Finally, it’s always a good idea to check with your local law enforcement agency to ensure there aren’t any additional requirements in your area. Here are a few more tips:

  • The first step is to find a gun that the person you are gifting wants or needs
  •  Once you have found the perfect gun, the next step is to fill out a Michigan firearms transfer application form. This form can be found on the Michigan State Police website
  •  After the form has been completed, both the sender and receiver of the gun must go to a licensed firearms dealer to complete the background check process and finalize the transaction
  •  Finally, once everything has been approved, the gun can be gifted to the intended recipient!

Do You Have to Register a Gifted Handgun in Michigan?

In Michigan, you are not required to register a gifted handgun. However, you should do so to have a record of the transfer. If the gun is ever lost or stolen, having it registered will make it easier to track down and recover. Additionally, if you ever sell the gun or give it away, the registration will help ensure that it ends up in responsible hands.

Can I Gift a Handgun to an 18-Year-Old in Michigan?

In Michigan, it is legal to gift a handgun to an 18-year-old as long as the gun is registered in your name and the recipient is not prohibited from owning a firearm. If you are gifting a handgun to someone who is not a close relative, you must also complete a background check on the recipient.


Yes, you can gift a gun in Michigan as long as the recipient is not prohibited from owning a gun and you follow all state and federal laws. You must also have a valid Michigan concealed pistol license (CPL) to purchase or transfer a handgun.

Sharing is caring!

Leave a Comment